You probably have questions about how the health care reform legislation will impact you and your family. All health plans will be impacted in some way by health care reform. There are several changes that have already gone into effect and others still to come.
As your health care partner, we’re here to be your trusted resource and help guide you through all the details. Check out the topics in the sidebar to see what changes are in progress.
Affordable Care Act timeline
March 23: Affordable Care Act is signed in to law
July 1: ACA policies begin to go into effect, including:
- New website (healthcare.gov) is available to help consumers compare and choose health insurance coverage
- New coverage options become available for individuals who have been uninsured for at least six months because of pre-existing conditions
Sept. 23: A focus on young adults, children and preventive services:
- Young adults are allowed to stay on their parents’ health plans until they turn 26 years old
- Children under the age of 19 cannot be denied coverage because of a pre-existing condition
- All new plans must cover certain preventive services (for example: mammograms, colonoscopies) for free
Jan. 1: Seniors see increased benefits:
- Free preventive services (for example: annual wellness visits, prevention plans) are available for seniors on Medicare
- Seniors who reach the coverage gap will receive a 50 percent discount when buying Medicare Part D covered brand-name prescription medicines
June 28: ACA is upheld by the Supreme Court
- The Supreme Court upholds all insurance-related provisions of the ACA, strikes down one Medicaid provision
We’ll continue to update this information as more becomes available. You can also learn more on the government’s official health care reform website, healthcare.gov.
Please note: Depending on your plan and coverage, these changes may or may not affect you. If the changes do apply to your plan, they may have already taken effect or may have a different effective date than what is listed above. If you have any questions about how these changes impact you, please call Member Services at the number on the back of your Member ID card.