Get the taste of a traditional ceviche recipe by lightly poaching fish in citrus juices.
- 1/2 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1-2 Alaskan rockfish fillets or any firm white fish, skin removed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 10 Alaskan spot prawns or large shrimp, peeled, cleaned and tails removed, then cut into bite-sized pieces
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 mango, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeño or serrano chile (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the grapefruit juice to a boil.
- Add the rockfish and prawns, reduce the heat to a simmer, and poach the fish and prawns until just tender, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the fish and prawns to a non-aluminum bowl, cover and chill in the refrigerator for up to 3 hours.
- In a large bowl, toss together the tomatoes, mango, cilantro and onion.
- Add the lime, lemon and orange juices, the jalapeño or serrano chile, if using, and salt.
- Add the chilled seafood, stir to combine and taste to see if you want to add more salt, citrus or spice.
- Serve immediately or chill for up to 2 hours.
Recipe and photo courtesy of What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl.
|Total Fat 1g|
|Saturated Fat 0g|
|Total Carbs 11g|
|Dietary Fiber 2g|
|Added Sugars 0g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg|
*Percent Daily Values are included where available. They are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.