Cod fillets are pan-fried until golden brown and mixed with a rich tomato and spinach sauce for an easy seafood dish. Top with olives and serve with a favorite side for a quick meal.
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 skinless cod fillet
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped into ¼” pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups canned low-sodium diced tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups frozen spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives (or other pitted Greek olives), coarsely chopped
- Heat the skillet on the stove over high heat. When it is hot, add 1½ teaspoons oil.
- Add fish. Cook about 5 minutes per side, until deeply browned. Remove the fish to a plate and cover.
- Reheat the skillet to medium heat. Add the remaining 1½ teaspoons oil, onion and garlic. Cook about 7 minutes. Add tomatoes and water. Cook about 10 minutes, until the mixture thickens and turns from bright red to an orange color.
- Return fish to skillet with the tomato mixture. Cover with spinach and sprinkle with olives. Cover skillet and cook about 2 minutes over low heat until the spinach is steamed. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl.
Amount per serving
|Total Fat 6g|
|Saturated Fat 1g|
|Total Carbs 12g|
|Dietary Fiber 6g|
|Added Sugars 0g|
|Vitamin D 1mcg|
*Percent Daily Values are included where available. They are based on a 2,000
calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.