Toasted whole grain bread is stacked with cucumbers, sardines, tomato and sliced red onion.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Serving suggestion: Try canned tuna or salmon as tasty alternatives for sardines.
- 8 slices whole wheat or multigrain bread, toasted
- 1 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cans (4 ounces) oil or water-packed sardines, drained
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 red or white onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- Put 4 slices of toasted bread on a cutting board. Arrange cucumber slices on top of each slice.
- Gently mash the sardines with a fork. Spread the mashed sardines over the cucumber. Drizzle the lemon juice over the sardines.
- Put the tomato slices and red onions on top of the sardines. Top with the remaining slices of toast and press down gently to hold the sandwich together.
- Cut the sandwich in half and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl.
Amount per serving
|Total Fat 3g|
|Saturated Fat 1g|
|Total Carbs 29g|
|Dietary Fiber 5g|
|Added Sugars 3g|
|Vitamin D 3mcg|
*Percent Daily Values are included where available. They are based on a 2,000
calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.