Grilling brings out the flavor in fresh vegetables like asparagus. Add shrimp, quinoa and refreshing lemon vinaigrette, and you have a delicious and quick spring or summer salad.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Serving Suggestions: Serve with nonfat milk and grapes
- 2 cups fresh asparagus, large spears, cut into 1" pieces
- ½ yellow or red bell pepper, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 ounces) quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 ½ cups dry quinoa, cooked according to package directions
For the lemon vinaigrette
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel (optional)
- 3 tablespoons fresh or bottled lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until combined; set aside.
- Cut vegetables as directed.
- Heat grill and grilling tray.
- Place vegetables and shrimp in a large bowl; add about 1/3 of the vinaigrette (about 3 Tbsp) and toss.
- Spread shrimp-vegetable mixture over hot grilling tray.
- Grill, turning shrimp and vegetables, until shrimp is an opaque color, about 5-6 minutes; remove from grill.
- Serve grilled mixture over cooked quinoa and drizzle with vinaigrette.
Recipe and photo courtesy of What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl.
Amount per serving
|Total Fat 16g|
|Saturated Fat 2g|
|Total Carbs 51g|
|Dietary Fiber 7g|
|Added Sugars 0g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg|
*Percent Daily Values are included where available. They are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.