This delicious, healthy shrimp quinoa risotto recipe will become a family favorite. Quick and easy, it's packed with protein but still low in calories.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, (minced)
- 1 pound large shrimp, (peeled and deveined)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ yellow onion, (diced)
- 1 cup quinoa, thoroughly rinsed
- 2 ¼ cups chicken stock (or low-sodium chicken broth)
- 1 cup chopped kale
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1 medium plum tomato, (chopped)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large sauté pan over moderate heat, warm 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the garlic and shrimp, along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp turn pink, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Do not clean pan.
- In the same sauté pan over moderate heat, warm the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the quinoa and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the kale, peas, corn and tomato, and cook until the quinoa is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked shrimp and gently stir to combine.
- Top with Parmesan cheese, and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot!
Recipe and photo courtesy of What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl.
|Total Fat 12g|
|Saturated Fat 3g|
|Total Carbs 30g|
|Dietary Fiber 4g|
|Added Sugars 0g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg|
*Percent Daily Values are included where available. They are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.