Grapes are a natural balance to this sweet and savory shrimp salad. Enjoy as a sandwich or over lettuce.
Serving suggestions: Serve with a glass of nonfat milk and a red grape cluster.
Tips for selecting and storing grapes:
- Grapes are fully ripe when they arrive at the supermarket.
- Look for plump grapes with pliable green stems.
- Keep grapes unwashed and refrigerated in a plastic bag until ready for use, then rinse with cold water and serve, or add to recipes.
- 1/2 pound frozen cooked cocktail shrimp, thawed, peeled and deveined
- 1 8-ounce can no salt added yellow corn kernels, drained
- 1 cup canned no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 tablespoon salt-free Caribbean citrus seasoning
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 4 leaves Bibb lettuce or other leaf lettuce
- Chop shrimp coarsely.
- Mix together all ingredients, except for the bread, tomato slices and lettuce.
- Divide salad evenly among 4 slices of bread; spread to edges of bread.
- Top with tomato slices, lettuce and second bread slice.
Recipe courtesy of What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl.
Amount per serving
|Total Fat 6g|
|Saturated Fat 1g|
|Total Carbs 43g|
|Dietary Fiber 8g|
|Added Sugars 3g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg|
*Percent Daily Values are included where available. They are based on a 2,000
calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.