HealthPartners develops nutritious, affordable concession stand menu
BLOOMINGTON, Minn. — For the second year in a row, the menu at a St. Paul Saints game concession stand has been developed by HealthPartners' yumPower program. After ending CHS Field's inaugural season as the No. 2 concession stand in sales volume, the Sandwich Lot will be back this year featuring healthy, cost-effective menu items at its location along the right field line.
Family entertainment is the expressed primary commitment of the home team St. Paul Saints, and yumPower aims to contribute to that by making better-for-you foods available and affordable for fans.
Nationally, more than 30 percent of youth and two-thirds of adults are overweight or obese.
HealthPartners' mission is to improve the health of our members, patients and community, and the yumPower mission of healthy eating is one of the four behaviors that can help jump start better health for all.
On an average visit to a minor league ballpark like CHS Field, a family of four will spend $37.40 on hot dogs, soda and beer. A child will consume high amounts of sugar, carbohydrates and saturated fats, and an average of 517 calories. An adult will likely consume 855 calories by eating same types of foods.
At the Sandwich Lot, a family of four will spend the same price, however, the average child will consume 230 fewer calories, and the average adult will likely consume 550 fewer calories. All of the yumPower-approved sandwiches and drinks at the stand have been reviewed by a registered dietician and crafted with better-for-you ingredients.
2016 Menu Line-Up for The Sandwich Lot ($7-$8/per sandwich)
- Sloppy Jane in Bread Cone
- Cranberry Turkey Panini
- Child’s Turkey Sandwich
- Vegetable and Mock Duck Lettuce Wrap
- Flat Bread Pizzas (Vegetable; Pesto Chicken; Margaretta; Carmelized Onion and Fig)
- Carved Meat Sandwiches (Roast Beef; Roasted Pork Loin with Tarragon Aioli; Roasted Turkey with Cranberry Cream Cheese)
- DASANI® Bottled Water
- DASANI® Sparkling Water
- POWERADE ZERO™
Other Examples of yumPower Community Involvement
- Better-for-you recipes and cooking tips are available as a free community resource on yumpower.com
- Community cooking classes with HealthPartners experts that are presented in partnership with Cooks of Crocus Hill
- yumPower, PowerUp and BearPower school challenges to encourage more than 20,000 students in 57 schools to eat better and become more active
- “The Fruit and Veggie Rx” program, where prescriptions that include coupons for fresh fruits and vegetables at local grocery stores are written for 6,500 patients at HealthPartners, Park Nicollet, Stillwater Medical Group and Westfields clinics
- “Better Shelf for Better Health” initiatives where dieticians partner with community food shelves to re-design the facilities in order to make healthier options more prominent and visible
Founded in 1957, the HealthPartners family of health care companies serves more than one million medical and dental health plan members nationwide. It is the largest consumer-governed, nonprofit health care organization in the nation, providing care, coverage, research and education to improve the health of members, patients and the community.
651-629-0411, Media Pager