Activities that burn calories
How many calories do everyday activities burn?
Every day activities can sometimes feel like a workout. The good news is some of those activities can burn calories. The calorie information below is based on a 140 lbs. person doing one hour of each activity.
- Sitting while reading or writing: 82
- Washing the car: 124
- Remodeling or painting the house: 128
- Shopping: 146
- Operating a snow blower: 159
- Babysitting: 191
- Personal grooming: 210
- Mopping floors: 223
- Mowing the lawn with a push mower: 350
- Shoveling snow by hand: 382
- Yoga: 159
- Playing frisbee or bowling: 191
- Walking at a medium pace: 223
- Fishing or golfing: 223
- Square dancing: 286
- Kayaking or canoeing: 382
- Swimming laps or freestyle: 382
- Aerobic dancing: 465
- Jump rope: 751
Use our calorie calculator to figure out how many calories you burn doing your favorite activities.
If you’re looking to make lifestyle changes to improve your diet, find a registered dietitian nutritionist near you: