Don’t know how to find health insurance? Here’s where to shop
Ready to buy? You’ve got choices. Here are the top things to know about buying from MNsure, through a broker or directly from an insurance company.
Alright, you’re ready to buy health insurance. If only you could swing by the mall and grab a plan off the rack.
The good news is, just like the mall has lots of stores to buy your holiday dress, you also have shopping options when it comes to finding health insurance.
Let me get you started on your shopping trip.
Step 1: Find out if you’re eligible for a discount
Like any thrifty shopper, you check to see if you have a discount first. MNsure offers some financial assistance, but it depends on how much money you make and how many people live in your home.
→ To see if you qualify, visit MNsure
Still not sure? These 3 people can help.
Step 2: If you’re eligible: Head to MNsure
You have to buy through MNsure to get the financial help you’re eligible for.
→ Shop at MNsure.org to purchase your health plan.
If you’re not eligible: You have choices for how and where to shop
Health insurance companies
Health insurance companies are the most knowledgeable about their plans. Visit health insurance companies’ websites or call their plan reps to compare all available plans in your area.
- See which doctors and medicines the companies’ plans cover; they might cover more options than plans available from MNsure.
- Review your past costs and care use with a plan rep to find the best option for your unique needs.
Health insurance brokers
You can work with a licensed agent, or broker, in your area to find the best plan based on your needs. And their services are free!
- Help you pick out and sign up for a plan and continue helping you after you enroll.
- Show you different types of plans from a variety of insurance companies to consider.
- If you aren’t happy with your broker, you can work with a different one.
- Find a broker in your area with the "Find an Assister" tool on MNsure.org. or through the National Association of Health Underwriters.
If you like to do the research on your own, an internet broker like ehealthinsurance.com may be a great fit. You’ll see all participating insurance companies side-by-side and can do your own comparison.
Related content: 3 people who can help you pick a health plan
About Kate Sahnow
Kate Sahnow is a HealthPartners Member Services leader supporting MNsure members through phone calls, email, chat, and walk-ins. She extends this support by writing for the Health Insurance Help blog. Connecting members to support programs so they can achieve their best health is what makes her job so rewarding. Outside of work, Kate loves spending time with her husband, son Ethan, and daughter Cora. They are passionate about sustainability, own two electric vehicles, and enjoy taking yearly vacations to Ely, Minnesota.