What do you do with extra medicine – flush it down the toilet, run it through the garbage disposal, throw it away? When drugs are not disposed of properly, it increases the risk of accidental poisoning and drug abuse, and it can damage our ecosystems and overall health. Learn more about how to dispose of unused medicine from the FDA.
Bring unused medicine to a local collection site
The safest way to dispose of medicine is by bringing it to a local collection site. At HealthPartners, we offer free, environmentally friendly medicine disposal. Bring your medicine in its original labeled container to any of the following locations.
- Arden Hills, HealthPartners Pharmacy
- Bloomington, HealthPartners Pharmacy
- Bloomington, Park Nicollet Pharmacy
- Brooklyn Center, Brookdale, Park Nicollet Pharmacy
- Brooklyn Center, HealthPartners Pharmacy
- Como, HealthPartners Pharmacy
- Maple Grove, Park Nicollet Pharmacy
- Maplewood, HealthPartners Pharmacy
- Minneapolis, Park Nicollet Pharmacy
- Minneapolis, Riverside, HealthPartners Pharmacy
- Minnetonka, Carlson Parkway, Park Nicollet Pharmacy
- St. Cloud, Central Minnesota Clinic, HealthPartners Pharmacy
- St. Louis Park, Meadowbrook, Park Nicollet Pharmacy
- St. Louis Park, Methodist Hospital, Park Nicollet Pharmacy
- St. Louis Park, Park Nicollet Pharmacy
- St. Louis Park, West, HealthPartners Pharmacy
- St. Paul, HealthPartners Pharmacy
- St. Paul, HealthPartners Specialty Center
- St. Paul, Midway, HealthPartners Pharmacy
- Stillwater, Lakeview Community Pharmacy, HealthPartners Pharmacy
- Wayzata, Park Nicollet Pharmacy
- White Bear Lake, HealthPartners Pharmacy
- Woodbury, HealthPartners Pharmacy
By law, pharmacies cannot take back controlled substances, including Adderall, Ambien, codeine, oxycodone, Oxycontin, Percocet, Ritalin, Valium, Vicodin and Xanax. View the full list of controlled substances that pharmacies can’t accept.
There are other safe ways to recycle controlled substances
Although HealthPartners pharmacies cannot accept controlled substances, there are still safe ways to dispose of them. Rethink Recycling provides a list of safe disposal options in each county throughout the metro. Most of these programs can accept all medicines, including prescriptions, over-the-counter drugs and pet medicines.
Contact your county