Title: Senior investigator
HealthPartners Medical Group title: Senior advisor
Academic appointment: Clinical professor, University of Minnesota Department of Family Medicine and Community Health
Other offices: Member of the board of directors for the Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement and of the Minnesota Academy of Family Physicians Foundation. Member of the National Academy of Medicine.
Joined the Institute: 1992
Education and training: MD, University of Minnesota Medical School; residency, University of Maryland Hospital; gastrointestinal fellowship, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
Overview/research interests: Quality measurement and improvement and organizational change, especially for chronic disease care (including depression) and clinical preventive services delivery (especially tobacco control), as well as primary care redesign/medical home.
Current research activities and funding:
- PI for PROMOTE, a grant from AHRQ to extend and evaluate the HealthPartners initiative to implement patient-reported outcomes in orthopedics
- Dissemination and Engagement Lead for the National Evaluation of the AHRQ EvidenceNOW initiative to transform 1,800 small primary care practices in seven regions of the United States
- Implementation Lead for the NIH Partnership for Dose grant to test interventions to optimize radiation doses from CT exams in six countries
- Qualitative lead for the Opioid Wizard study
- Implementation co-investigator of an NIMH study of telehealth versus collaborative care for serious mental illness patients in rural FQHCs