These services may or may not be covered by all HealthPartners plans. Please see your plan documents for your own coverage information. If there is a difference between this general information and your plan documents, your plan documents will be used to determine your coverage.
Requires prior authorization.
Seat lift mechanisms are covered for members who meet all of the following criteria:
- The member has arthritis of the hip or knee, neuromuscular disease such as Parkinson’s or muscular dystrophy or another medical condition that affects his or her strength or mobility.
- The member is unable to stand up from a regular armchair at home.
- Once standing, the member has the ability to ambulate independently or with a properly fitted walker or cane.
- Seat lift chairs, which operate by a spring release mechanism that causes a catapult like motion, and jolts the member from a seated to a standing position.
- Although a seat lift mechanism may be covered, the chair for which the mechanism is intended is not covered because it is furniture rather than medical equipment.
A lift chair mechanism is a device used to assist a member in standing up and sitting down, without other assistance.
Seat lift mechanism incorporated into a combination lift-chair mechanism
Separate seat lift mechanism for use with patient-owned furniture, nonelectric
This information is for most, but not all, HealthPartners plans. Please read your plan documents to see if your plan has limits or will not cover some items. If there is a difference between this general information and your plan documents, your plan documents will be used to determine your coverage. These coverage criteria may not apply to Medicare Products if Medicare requires different coverage. For more information regarding Medicare coverage criteria or for a copy of a Medicare coverage policy contact Member Services at 952-883-7979 or 1-800-233-9645.