Investigational services and devices are not eligible for coverage under most HealthPartners plans. Please see your plan documents for your specific coverage information. If there is a difference between this general information and your plan documents, your plan documents will be used to determine your coverage.
Prior authorization is not required for medical cannabis.
Medical cannabis is not an FDA-approved drug, and is therefore considered investigational/experimental and not a covered benefit.
Some states have laws regarding the purchase of medical cannabis. Links to these laws are provided below under the Reference section.
Medical cannabis and medical cannabinoid products are not covered for any indication.
Minnesota statute defines medical cannabis as any species of the genus cannabis plant, or any mixture or preparation of them, including whole plant extracts and resins, and is delivered in the form of:
- liquid, including, but not limited to, oil;
- vaporized delivery method with use of liquid or oil but which does not require the use of dried leaves or plant form; or
- any other method, excluding smoking, approved by the Minnesota state commissioner
- Medical cannabinoid products are limited to the following forms:
- Cannabinoid tincture;
- Cannabinoid capsule;
- Cannabinoid transdermal patch; and
- Cannabinoid topical.
- "Medical cannabinoid product" does not include:
- A cannabinoid edible product;
- A cannabinoid concentrate by itself; or
- The dried leaves or flowers of the plant of the genus cannabis by itself.
This information is for most, but not all, HealthPartners plans. Please read your plan documents to see if your plan has limits or will not cover some items. If there is a difference between this general information and your plan documents, your plan documents will be used to determine your coverage. These coverage criteria may not apply to Medicare Products if Medicare requires different coverage. For more information regarding Medicare coverage criteria or for a copy of a Medicare coverage policy, contact Member Services at 952-883-7979 or 1-800-233-9645.
- Minnesota Department of Health - www.health.state.mn.us/topics/cannabis/
- North Dakota Century Code Title 19: http://www.legis.nd.gov/cencode/t19c24-1.pdf#nameddest=19-24p1-01
- Wisconsin State Legislature Chapter 961 961.38: http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/961/III/38