Your heart loves yumPower
You've heard the sayings, "That meal is a heart attack waiting to happen" or "you are what you eat." Well there is some truth to those sayings when it comes to your heart health. Eating certain foods can increase your risk of heart disease, which is the number one cause of death in the United States.
Check out some of these good-for-you, yet tasty foods that can help prevent heart disease.
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal can be a quick and easy way to get your omega-3 fatty acids and potassium. Oatmeal is also rich in fiber and can help lower levels of bad cholesterol, helping your arteries stay clear. Try this overnight oatmeal.
- Berries: Sprinkle them in your yogurt or eat them plain; berries are full of polyphenols which can help reduce blood pressure.
- Avocado: Spruce up your sandwich or your salad with some avocado, which lowers your bad cholesterol and ups your good cholesterol!
- Legumes From lentils to chickpeas, legumes are loaded with nutrients than can lower cholesterol and blood pressure. You can include legumes in soups and salads - or mix with other beans for a side dish!
- Salmon: Salmon is known for being rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which can help reduce blood pressure and blood from clotting. Other heart-healthy fish include mackerel, tuna and herring. Try this mustard-crusted salmon.
- Spinach: Pair your dinner with a side spinach salad to up your daily vegetable intake and lower your risk for heart disease. Spinach is packed with omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants and B vitamins.
- Nuts: Walnuts, almonds and macadamia nuts are full of the good fats your body needs. Eating nuts can lower the LDL (low density lipoprotein, also known as "bad" cholesterol) in your body. High levels of LDL is one of the leading causes of heart disease.
In general, pile your plate with yumPower approved fruits and veggies. Add lean proteins but limit carbohydrates, dairy and salty, processed foods. Your heart will thank you for it.