25 yummy snacks for kids
When a snack attack strikes, refuel with these good-for-you, nutrition-packed snacks.
- Peel a banana and dip it in yogurt. Roll in crushed cereal and freeze.
- Spread celery sticks with peanut butter or low-fat cream cheese. Top with raisins. Enjoy your "ants on a log."
- Stuff a whole-grain pita pocket with ricotta cheese and Granny Smith apple slices. Add a dash of cinnamon.
- Mix together ready-to-eat cereal, dried fruit and nuts in a sandwich bag for an on-the-go trail mix.
- Smear a scoop of frozen yogurt on two graham crackers and add sliced bananas to make a yummy sandwich.
- Top low-fat vanilla yogurt with crunchy granola and sprinkle with blueberries.
- Microwave a small baked potato. Top with reduced-fat cheddar cheese and salsa.
- Make snack kabobs. Put cubes of low-fat cheese and grapes on pretzel sticks.
- Toast a whole-grain waffle and top with low-fat yogurt and sliced peaches.
- Spread peanut butter on apple slices.
- Blend low-fat milk, frozen strawberries and a banana for thirty seconds for a delicious smoothie.
- Make a mini-sandwich with tuna or egg salad on a dinner roll.
- Sprinkle grated Monterey Jack cheese over a corn tortilla. Fold in half and microwave for 20 seconds. Top with salsa.
- Toss dried cranberries and chopped walnuts in instant oatmeal.
- Mix together peanut butter and cornflakes in a bowl. Shape into balls and roll in crushed graham crackers.
- Microwave a cup of tomato or vegetable soup and enjoy with whole-grain crackers.
- Fill a waffle cone with cut-up fruit and top with low-fat vanilla yogurt.
- Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on hot popcorn.
- Banana split: Top a banana with low-fat vanilla and strawberry frozen yogurt. Sprinkle with your favorite whole-grain cereal.
- Sandwich cut-outs: Make a sandwich on whole-grain bread. Cut out your favorite shape using a big cookie cutter. Enjoy the fun shape and the edges too!
- Spread mustard on a flour tortilla. Top with a slice of turkey or ham, low-fat cheese and lettuce. Then roll it up.
- Mini pizza: Toast an English muffin, drizzle with pizza sauce and sprinkle with low-fat mozzarella cheese.
- Rocky road: Break a graham cracker into bite-sized pieces. Add to low-fat chocolate pudding along with a few miniature marshmallows.
- Inside-out sandwich: Spread mustard on a slice of deli turkey. Wrap around a sesame breadstick.
- Parfait: Layer vanilla yogurt and mandarin oranges or blueberries in a tall glass. Top with a sprinkle of granola.
Get dipping with these tasty snacks:
- Baby carrots and cherry tomatoes in low-fat ranch dressing
- Strawberries or apple slices in low-fat yogurt
- Pretzels in mustard
- Pita chips in hummus
- Graham crackers in applesauce
- Baked tortilla chips in bean dip
- Animal crackers in low-fat pudding
- Bread sticks in salsa
- Granola bar in low-fat yogurt
- Mini-toaster waffles in cinnamon applesauce