Get the facts about varicose vein symptoms and treatments straight from the experts
Our veins have the important job of carrying blood throughout our body. The veins in our legs work especially hard to carry blood back to our hearts against gravity. Because of the strain on the veins in our legs, they wear out over time causing blood to pool inside the veins. This can cause the painful, bulging veins known as varicose veins.
Varicose veins are very common. In fact, having varicose veins is the most common condition that affects the venous system. If left untreated, it can cause tissue damage and long-term pain. Luckily, there are many different treatments available to help you recover and keep your legs healthy.
Today, we’re talking to surgeons Eric Saterbak, MD and Timothy Perkins, MD about the causes of varicose veins, symptoms to watch out for and common treatment options. We discuss:
- What causes varicose veins
- When to know if you need medical treatment for varicose veins
- Risk factors that may increase your chances of having varicose veins
- Surgical and non-surgical treatment options for varicose veins
- The difference between vein ablation and vein stripping
- A typical vein ablation recovery timeline
- When you should talk to a doctor about your symptoms
Whether you’re not sure if you have varicose veins or if you’re unsure about if you need treatment, take a listen. Our doctors are here to answer all your questions, no matter how small.