Title: Research investigator
Affiliations/other offices held: Faculty Physician, HealthPartners Occupational and Environmental Medicine Residency Program; Affiliate Associate Professor, University of Minnesota School of Public Health, Division of Environmental Health Sciences; Occupational and Environmental Medicine Clerkship Director, University of Minnesota Medical School; Chief Medical Editor, Minnesota Medicine; Vice President, Central States Occupational and Environmental Medicine Association; Region 5 Minnesota State Champion, Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Units.
Joined the Institute: 2016
Education and training: MD and Master of Health Informatics, University of Minnesota Medical School and Institute for Health Informatics; Master of Public Health, University of Minnesota School of Public Health; HealthPartners Occupational and Environmental Medicine Residency
Overview/research interests: Dr. McKinney’s clinical research interests are in preventing work-related illness and injury, improving data-driven decision-making in clinical contexts, environmental toxicology, public safety medicine, managing complex impairment/disability and increasing the health literacy of patients and communities.
Research activities and funding:
- Co-investigator, Pragmatic Trial Comparing Telehealth Care and Optimized Clinic-Based Care for Uncontrolled High Blood Pressure. Funder: Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute
- Principal investigator, Comparison of Body Composition Methods, Cardiorespiratory Fitness, and Obesity in Firefighters. Funder: Hologic, Inc.
- Principal investigator, Firefighter Soot, Sauna, and Sweat Excretion Pilot Study. Funder: City of St. Paul and the St. Paul Fire Department
- Co-investigator, Optimizing the Value of PROMs in Improving Care Delivery through Health Information Technology. Funder: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- Co-investigator, Automation and Expansion of Occupational Health Surveillance Systems. Funder: Regions Hospital Red Fund
- University of Minnesota
- HealthPartners Occupational and Environmental Medicine Residency