HealthPartners title: Geriatric psychiatrist
Academic appointment: Associate professor, University of Minnesota Medical School
Joined the Institute: 2011
Education and training: MD, University of Minnesota; Residency, University of Wisconsin, Madison; Geriatric psychiatry fellowship, University of Minnesota; MS, University of Minnesota.
Overview/research interests: Depression, suicide prevention, serious mental illness, chronic disease, opioid use disorder, aging and cognition.
Current research activities and funding:
- Principal investigator on a National Institutes of Mental Health (NIMH)-funded randomized controlled trial examining whether clinical decision support reduces cardiovascular risk in people with bipolar disorder or schizophrenia
- Site principal investigator on a National Institutes of Health-funded large pragmatic trial examining two suicide-prevention programs
- Co-lead on a National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)-funded feasibility study of a clinical decision support tool for primary care providers to screen, diagnose and treat opioid use disorder
- Site principal investigator on an NIMH-funded study of treatment utilization before suicide
- Site principal investigator for the NorthStar Node for the National Institute on Drug Abuse
- Site principal investigator for an NIMH-funded study of a smartphone app aimed to help people with bipolar disorder recognize early symptoms of depression or mania
- Site principal investigator on an NIMH-funded study to develop a population-based risk calculator for suicidal behavior
- Co-investigator on the US Preventive Services Task Force Screening for Cognitive Impairment systematic review