HealthPartners Medical Group title: Director, Geriatric Trauma Program, Regions Hospital; orthopedic surgeon.
Education and training: MD, Stanford University, Palo Alto, California; residency in orthopaedic surgery, University of Washington; fellowship in Vail in sports medicine and trauma, Vail, Colorado.
Overview/research interests: Dr. Switzer’s clinical and research interests include trauma, geriatric orthopedics and diseases of bone metabolism.
Current research activities and funding:
- Geriatric Fracture Program Quality Improvement and Assurance
- Geriatric Mobile Outreach, an intervention in a prospective cohort of patients
- Development of a Geriatric Fracture Registry
- Asymptomatic shoulder function in elderly individuals
- Elder abuse awareness and physician education
- Morbidity and mortality of geriatric proximal humerus fracture
- The role of palliative hip fracture surgery and family caregiver satisfaction