Teen Leadership Council
HealthPartners is committed to youth development by elevating the voice of young people within our organization and the community.
The Teen Leadership Council (TLC) is a year-long opportunity for high school students across the Twin Cities and western Wisconsin who are interested in health and wellbeing. The program develops the next generation of resilient leaders by amplifying youth voices and giving youth a platform to make change in their communities.
What students in the TLC do
- Public health workshops where teens will work with public health professionals to explore how many different factors can influence our community’s health.
- Volunteering to help make a difference and give back to the community.
- Consulting so students can be a voice of change by sharing insights that impact real-life programs and projects.
- Leadership skill building where TLC members explore personal strengths and develop skills that will help them grow as leaders.
- Team bonding activities to connect, collaborate and build relationships with other teens.
Engage teens in your work
Community partners can submit a request for the Teen Leadership Council to consult on a project or program.
"The TLC is important to teens because it helps us get more perspective on issues happening in our communities. Being able to collaborate with teens from other communities, build ideas and create leadership opportunities together is an amazing and rewarding experience."
There are many benefits to participating in the council.
- Gain leadership skills and enhance youth development competencies
- Become leaders in creating a culture of health
- Feel confident and empowered to make a difference in your communities
- Practice collaborating with and mobilizing your peers
In order to join the Teen Leadership Council, teens must:
- Be 14-19 years old
- Live in the Twin Cities metro, St. Croix Valley or western Wisconsin
- Be interested in improving the health of our communities
“We're a generation of big dreamers. We see things not just how they are, but how they can be.”
How to apply to the Teen Leadership Council
Applications for the 2023-2024 school year are currently closed. Please check back in spring 2024 to apply for the next cohort.
Catch up with the Teen Leadership Council
In May 2023, the Teen Leadership Council held its annual meeting, Empowering Youth to Become Resilient Leaders, at the HealthPartners Neuroscience Center in St. Paul, MN.
Our monthly newsletter, written by members of the TLC, shares what they've been up to the last several months. Check it out and stay connected!