COVID-19 (Coronavirus): Get the latest information on COVID-19, including testing, visitor guidelines, your care options and more
When complications happen during pregnancy, it’s important to seek the unique expertise of maternal-fetal medicine specialists. Sometimes called perinatologists, our maternal-fetal medicine doctors specialize in the compassionate care of pregnancies that are higher-risk to mom, baby or both. Risks may include gestational diabetes, preeclampsia, pregnancies with multiple gestations (like twins or triplets), suspected fetal health concerns or health conditions you had before pregnancy.
High-risk pregnancies can come with feelings of uncertainty. At HealthPartners and Park Nicollet, we’re here to help. We have expert teams dedicated to helping you reach your goals for a healthy pregnancy and birth. We’re by your side every step of the way, explaining things in terms you can understand and working together to create a personalized plan for you and baby.
We offer a range of services, including preconception consultations, screenings and pregnancy care.
During your first visit, we’ll discuss your health history, current conditions or health concerns for your pregnancy. Next, we’ll plan any necessary assessments or tests, and work with you to create a special care plan for you and baby.
We provide risk assessments for families with a history of birth defects. These screenings can help us decide if further genetic counseling or diagnostic tests are recommended to help identify risk for conditions such as Down syndrome or cystic fibrosis.
Our genetic counselors review available screenings, interpret results and offer support for patients who are at risk for, or have been diagnosed with, a genetic disorder. We’re by your side to help you understand your results and discuss next steps.
If you or your baby have recently been diagnosed with a health concern, we’ll provide a full evaluation to make sure you have the information you need. We’ll explain things in a way that you understand, talk through any questions you have and connect you with helpful resources.
We help co-manage your prenatal and postpartum care alongside your regular OB-GYN doctor or midwife. This care includes routine prenatal appointments to monitor your health, track baby’s growth and offer guidance on your birth plan. Some patients visit a maternal-fetal medicine doctor for a one-time service, such as a diagnostic ultrasound, then return to their doctor or midwife. Others may fully transition their care to a maternal-fetal medicine specialist for the duration of their pregnancy.
Our specialists are highly-trained to provide screenings, diagnostic ultrasounds and procedures needed to diagnose genetic disorders, birth defects and other health concerns for mom and baby. We use state of the art equipment and advanced genetic testing to provide accurate results in a timely matter.
- Gestational hypertension and preeclampsia
- Endocrine disorders (including gestational diabetes, thyroid disorder and lupus)
- Cardiac disease
- Recurrent pregnancy loss
- Previous pregnancy and delivery complications (including preterm birth, premature rupture of membranes, and more)
- Multiple gestations (twins, triplets)
- Down syndrome
- Spina bifida
- Congenital heart defects
- Cleft lip/palate
- Club foot
You can rely on the compassion and expertise of our specialists for every step of your pregnancy.
- We’ll co-manage your prenatal and postpartum care alongside your OB-GYN or midwife.
- We’ll provide an initial consultation to address your health and baby’s health, as well as identify any concerns.
- We’ll perform necessary risk assessments, tests or procedures needed to diagnose any health concerns and create a personalized plan.
- We’ll evaluate your health and give recommendations for future pregnancies.
Your OB-GYN doctor or midwife will refer you to a maternal-fetal medicine specialist if there are health complications or risks with your pregnancy. You may also want to consult with a maternal-fetal medicine doctor if you’ve had a high-risk pregnancy in the past, or if you have a family history of fetal health concerns.
Whether you need just one visit for an ultrasound or need to see us throughout your pregnancy, our skilled specialists are dedicated to providing you with the highest level of care possible.
Our care team includes:
- Perinatologists – Board-certified obstetricians who’ve had specialized training in maternal-fetal medicine and are experts in caring for high-risk pregnancies.
- Genetic counselors – Medical professionals with specialized training in genetics and counseling who provide consultations, risk assessments and counseling as patients make decisions about their health.
- Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (RDMS) – Certified medical professionals who perform diagnostic ultrasound exams and are specially trained in high-risk pregnancies.
We accept most health insurance plans, including Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota, CIGNA, HealthPartners, Medica, Medicare, PreferredOne and many others.
Not sure what coverage and benefits your health insurance plan provides? Call the number on the back of your card for help looking at your options.
Don’t have your card in front of you? Here are member services numbers to help you get started:
- HealthPartners: 800-883-2177
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota: 800-382-2000
- CIGNA: 800-244-6224 (insurance through work); 866-494-2111 (insurance directly or through the Exchange)
- Medica: 800-952-3455
- Medicare: 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227)
- PreferredOne: 763-847-4477 (in the Twin Cities); 800-997-1750 (outside the metro area)
- United Healthcare: 877-842-3210