Preventing the flu
Tips to avoid the flu
The flu virus spreads quickly. But you can help fight germs by doing these small things:
- Washing your hands frequently with soap and water or using alcohol hand rubs
- Covering your mouth and nose with your sleeve or a tissue when you sneeze
- Staying home when you are sick
You can also do things to decrease your odds of getting the flu:
- Staying up-to-date on your other screenings and immunizations
- Eating a balanced diet and exercising
- Getting a flu vaccine!
What about facemasks?
While facemasks do not eliminate your risk of getting the flu, they do help to reduce your chances of catching it. For those who are already sick with the flu, facemasks are very helpful in reducing the spread of all flu viruses. The best way to keep from getting sick with the flu is to simply avoid being near someone who is infected and follow the tips listed above.