COVID-19 (Coronavirus): Get the latest information on COVID-19, including testing, visitor guidelines, your care options and more
Primary care doctors are health experts uniquely trained to guide you through all stages of life. We have 55 primary care clinics in the Twin Cities and western Wisconsin, so better health is always right around the corner.
We’ve got you covered with same day primary care care at our clinics, 21 urgent care locations and our 24/7 online clinic Virtuwell. You also have quick access to your medical information and helpful health resources any time through your online account.
With over 1,900 of the top board-certified family physicians, internists, physician assistants and nurse practitioners, we have a team of experts for you.
- Annual physicals
- Common illnesses and injuries
- Chronic (long-term) disease management, such as management of high blood pressure, depression and diabetes
- Women’s health, including breast health, annual exams, prenatal and postnatal care
- Kids' health, including newborn and well-child exams
- Men’s health, including sleep issues, hair loss and annual physicals
- Recommended screenings by age
- Mental health concerns
- Nutrition and weight management
- Sleep issues
- Skin conditions
To get started, make an appointment online.
Doctors, physician assistants and nurse practitioners who practice in primary care help you with preventive care, such as annual well checks, screenings and vaccines, and diagnose and manage many common chronic conditions and diseases such as hypertension, stable heart disease, Type 2 Diabetes and more. They are also there when an illness or injury interrupts your day. Your primary care clinic and care team are your main contacts for your health care needs.
We’ve designed our clinics to provide the best and most convenient care for our patients. To ensure you get the care you need, we combine a variety of board-certified doctors in our primary care offices, from family medicine to pediatrics to internal medicine. Many of our clinics have lab, radiology, urgent care and an onsite pharmacy so you can get all of their tests and medications without making multiple stops.
At HealthPartners and Park Nicollet, you can schedule an appointment with any of the following members of our primary care team.
Family medicine doctors – The unique benefit of family medicine doctors is that they care for everyone in your family – from the new baby to grandma. They can provide highly personalized care because they’re familiar with your family’s medical history.
Internists and Internal medicine doctors – Internal medicine doctors focus on caring for adults. They provide a wide range of services, including preventive care and health screenings. They treat conditions specific to both men’s and women’s health, as well as minor illnesses, injuries and chronic conditions.
Physician assistants and nurse practitioners – Physician assistants and nurse practitioners provide medical care and are licensed to diagnose and treat illnesses, manage chronic diseases and prescribe medication for patients.
Pediatricians – Pediatricians specialize in caring for children, from newborns through early adulthood. Trained to treat both minor illnesses and injuries, as well as more complex conditions, pediatricians are experts at keeping kids of all ages on track toward a healthy future.
Internal medicine/pediatrics doctors – A combined meds-peds physician has a dual board certification and can treat patients from newborn through adulthood. They are both pediatricians and internists.
OB-GYNs and midwives – OB-GYNs and midwives specialize in women’s health. They can practice within a primary care office or a specialty clinic and provide routine women’s health services and screenings. They also care for you during milestones such as family planning, pregnancy, childbirth and menopause.
Many of our primary care clinics also have dietitians, diabetes educators, care coordinators, pharmacists and psychologists to help you develop personalized plans for achieving your health goals.
We also have people trained to answer your questions regarding insurance and payment options.
Primary care doctors, physician assistants and nurse practitioners are unique because they’re trained experts in a wide variety of different health conditions. Many also have specialized expertise in a certain area, like diabetes or geriatrics. They work with you to coordinate your care, arrange for consults with specialists when needed and collaborate with other members of your care team to help make getting the help you need easier.
Some people like seeing different doctors, while others prefer to choose one doctor who will get to know them well over time. Whatever your preference, here are some things to consider when choosing a doctor.
- Choose a doctor who is board certified. That means their education and experience goes beyond the state-issued permit to practice medicine, and the doctor has completed additional training and passed the required board exam.
- Choose someone you think you can relate to by reviewing the doctor’s online biography. Ask yourself, “How does this doctor’s biography make me feel?” “Is their communication style a good fit for me?” “How well does it inform me about the doctor’s expertise and interests?”
- Choose a clinic location that’s close to home or work.
- Choose a doctor that’s part of a care group that has multiple care options, like convenient urgent care locations, online treatment (like Virtuwell) and a 24/7 nurse line to call with health questions.
- Choose a doctor and clinic that offers you access to online medical records for easy access to your health history, lab results and recommended screenings.
Meet our primary care doctors and find one that’s right for you.
Physical, mental and dental wellness are all connected. That’s why we’ve designed our care group to treat each patient from a whole body and mind perspective. By working with a care team that combines the expertise of primary care, mental health, dental, eye and over 50 specialties, no part of your health is ever left behind.
Our primary care doctors are experts in a wide range of health conditions and can handle the majority of health needs. In cases when something requires the help of a specialist, we have the top experts in each field as part of our team.
We know making your health a priority is a commitment. Here are a few ways we make it easier:
- Online account offers easy access to medical records, immunization records, lab results and bill pay.
- Variety of appointment types including in-person, video and phone visits.
- Option to receive text reminders for appointments and when lab results are ready.
- 21 urgent care locations.
- Our 24/7 online clinic, Virtuwell, can get you a diagnosis, treatment plan and prescription if needed. All in about 30 minutes.
- We have experts in over 50 specialties.
Most common conditions can be treated online, saving you time and money. Our 24/7 online clinic, Virtuwell, can help you with acne, flu, sinus infections, allergies, birth control and much more – wherever you are and from any device.
Here’s how it works:
The first step is to answer a few questions, which are the same ones you would hear in the doctor’s office. Then, a board-certified nurse practitioner will review your answers and develop a treatment plan.
You’ll get a text and email the second your treatment plan is ready. And if you have any questions, nurse practitioners are available by phone around the clock.
And don’t worry, if Virtuwell can’t treat you, there’s no charge.
Most clinics have scheduled weekend and after hours visits.
When it can’t wait, we’ve got you covered. (If you have a medical emergency, please call 911.)
Urgent care – See a doctor for minor illnesses and injuries at one of our 21 Twin Cities urgent care locations. Open weekdays and weekends with no appointment needed. Some urgent care locations are open on holidays.
Virtuwell – Get treatment online for more than 30 common health conditions, all from the comfort of your pajamas and bunny slippers.
Call for 24/7 help:
We accept most health insurance plans, including Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota, CIGNA, HealthPartners, Medica, Medicare, PreferredOne and many others.
Not sure what your insurance covers? Call the number on the back of your card for help looking at your options.
Don’t have your card in front of you? Here are member services numbers to help you get started:
- HealthPartners: 800-883-2177
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota: 800-382-2000
- CIGNA: 800-244-6224 (insurance through work); 866-494-2111 (insurance directly or through the Exchange)
- Medica: 800-952-3455
- Medicare: 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227)
- PreferredOne: 763-847-4477 (in the Twin Cities); 800-997-1750 (outside the metro area)
- United Healthcare: 877-842-3210