Free sports physicals for high school student athletes
For kids, playing sports can be one of life’s greatest joys. But before your student athlete can enjoy running down the field or diving into a pool, it’s important to check their health. Physical activity can put extra stress on the body, especially the heart and lungs. Sports physicals screen for physical or medical conditions that might make participating in sports unsafe, and they are required by most school districts.
Every school year, TRIA offers free sports physicals to high school athletes, performed by our sports medicine doctors or orthopedic surgeons. These physicals are pre-participation exams designed to meet the strict requirements set by the
Free sports physicals are offered at many TRIA locations in the Twin Cities. Find an appointment by choosing the date and location that is convenient to you.
- TRIA Orthopedics Maple Grove: Tuesday, August 2 | 5 to 8 p.m.
- TRIA Orthopedic Center Woodbury: Monday, August 8 | 5 to 8 p.m.
- TRIA Orthopedics Burnsville: Tuesday, August 9 | 5 to 8 p.m.
- TRIA Orthopedic Center Bloomington: Thursday, August 11 | 5 to 8 p.m.
Sports physical evaluation forms
Please fill out these forms before coming in for a sports physical.
Answering questions about your child’s medical history and physical health ahead of time will make your appointment go more efficiently. If you don’t bring completed forms to your appointment, we’ll provide copies for you to fill out. However, this can delay your appointment.
How to prepare for your sports physical
There are a few things you can do before your sports physical to help everything go smoothly.
Make an appointment.We’re unable to take walk-in appointments at this time because of social distancing guidelines, so making an appointment is the best way to get started.
- Complete forms ahead of time. Have your sports physical evaluation forms completed before you come in for your appointment.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing. Have your child wear loose clothing or shorts to the appointment so our doctors can examine their legs, knees and arms, and see how they move.
- Go with your child. Accompany your child to their sports physical if they are under 18 years old.
- Have immunization records handy. Bring a copy of your child’s immunization records to the sports physical for a more comprehensive exam.
- Privit Software. If your school uses Privit Software, you’ll need to bring a printed copy of your completed health history.
Save on Baseline ImPACT testing
During sports physicals we offer baseline ImPACT testing for $10 (regularly $30). The name ImPACT stands for immediate post-concussion assessment and cognitive testing.
Baseline ImPACT testing is done at the beginning of a sports season when no injury has occurred. So, if an athlete experiences a head injury during the season, we’re able to compare the results of their baseline test to the results after the injury. This helps us evaluate how severe the injury was and create a personalized treatment plan.
Baseline ImPACT testing is especially important for athletes diagnosed with a learning disability, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), or those who struggle with academics and school.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
No, a sports physical isn’t the same as an annual checkup, and it shouldn’t replace your child’s yearly visit to their doctor.
Please keep in mind that students who have been diagnosed with cardiac conditions, asthmatic conditions or COVID-19 should receive medical examinations from their primary care doctor instead of one of the doctors at TRIA.
The Minnesota State High School League requires a new sports physical after three years. Check with your high school and/or
No, the high school sport physical is free of charge on the designated evenings listed above. However if your child is currently under medical care or requires further follow-up prior to clearance for athletic participation, the student-athlete will be referred to the appropriate medical provider of which may require a cost. If you opt to do baseline ImPACT testing, there is a charge of $10 per test.