Lakeview Hospital has been providing high quality care for Stillwater and the St. Croix Valley since 1880. We take pride in upholding our legacy of serving our patients where they live and work.
In 2011, we joined the HealthPartners family, connecting us to a comprehensive care system and extensive multi-specialty group practice. Together with Stillwater Medical Group and the Lakeview Health Foundation, we work to promote health and well-being across the eastern metro and western Wisconsin.
We’re honored to be listed among America’s highest performing hospitals by U.S. News & World Report and to be named a five-star hospital by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. We consistently see high patient satisfaction rates, and our MN Community Measurement scores for quality place us in the top two in the state – ahead of Mayo Clinic.
Locally, the Stillwater Gazette Reader’s Choice Awards named Lakeview Hospital the best emergency room in the area, and Stillwater Medical Group the best clinic and urgent care.
At Lakeview Health, our doctors work together to provide comprehensive care and personalized treatment that puts you first. Our combined hospital, specialty center and clinics system gives you access to experts in a wide range of specialties. You and your family can expect the support of a care team that explains things in terms you can understand and is focused on your health and well-being.
The Lakeview Health Foundation works to enhance the health and well-being of our patients, partners and communities across the St. Croix River Valley. We’re dedicated to being the eyes that see, the ears that hear and the voice that speaks up for the health needs of our area.
The Lakeview Health Foundation is committed to practicing philanthropy to develop resources, identify programs and support initiatives that promote better health and wellness.
Learn more about the Foundation
Our team of doctors, specialists, clinicians and more works hard to achieve the very best care for our patients. We’re honored to receive recognition nationally and locally that shows our dedication to our patients and community, including:
- For the fifth year in a row, HealthPartners has been named a Watson Health 15 Top Health Systems. We were #2 in the medium health systems category – the only one in the upper Midwest. This means that we are saving more lives, have fewer medical complications, have shorter wait times in the emergency room and lower costs than other health systems. This recognition demonstrates our ongoing commitment to prioritize patient-centered care.
- Lakeview is getting national recognition for our high quality care. For the second straight year, U.S. News & World Report named Lakeview a 2020-21 High Performing Hospital for hip and knee replacements in its annual hospital rankings
- Five-Star Hospital by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) for the quality of patient care in 2019, 2020, and 2021.
- 2019, 2020 Stillwater Gazette Reader’s Choice Awards named:
- Lakeview Hospital the best hospital and best emergency room in the area
- Stillwater Medical Group the best clinic and best urgent care in the area
- HomeCare Elite™ named Lakeview Homecare a Top Agency, as well as a Top 500 Agency for the fourth year in a row
- Practice Greenhealth has awarded Lakeview Hospital:
- 2020 Top 25 Environmental Excellence
- 2020 Leadership Circle of Excellence
- 2020 Greening the OR Recognition Circle of Excellence
- MN Community Measurement quality scores place the HealthPartners care system in the top two in the state
Lakeview Hospital is one of the oldest hospitals in the state, originally incorporated as the “Stillwater City Hospital” by a group of 12 women in March 1880. The first hospital quarters were maintained in a two-story frame building on North Fourth Street.
In 1892, a new hospital building was erected at the corner of Greeley and Anderson Streets at a cost of approximately $7,500. At the close of World War I, the hospital got a much-needed expansion, thanks to a group of citizens who raised the funds.
In 1919, the ownership and operation of the hospital was turned over to the City of Stillwater and Washington County. At that time, the name of the hospital was changed to "Lakeview Memorial Hospital", and it had a capacity of 52 adult beds and 10 bassinets.
Responding to the increase in outpatient service, a major expansion was completed in 1994 to focus on the spaces for surgery, recovery, anesthesia, radiology, emergency services and more. In 2000, Lakeview Hospital completed a renovation of its Women’s Center, which created more private rooms, a surgical suite and a new Level II nursery.
Between 2010 and 2011, Lakeview Hospital continued to modernize its facilities, remodeling the Sleep Center, patient rooms and Emergency Center. Since joining HealthPartners in 2011, Lakeview Hospital has continued to expand its facility and services to meet the needs of our growing community. More recently, in 2018, the hospital underwent additional expansions including a new Birth Center and Infusion Center.
Throughout our long history, we’ve had name changes, new partnerships and many expansions to meet the growing needs of our community. But through the years, one thing has remained constant: our dedication to the health and well-being of those we serve.