Hudson Hospital & Clinic has been providing quality care for our community since the day our doors opened more than 65 years ago. Today, the legacy we’ve built continues to drive us to enhance health and well-being across the St. Croix Valley.
We’ve been named a Five-Star Hospital by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) for the quality of our patient care, and recognized as one of the nation’s top critical access hospitals by Becker’s Hospital Review. We’ve also earned The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval™ by reaching its national standards for health care quality and safety in hospitals.
In 2008, Hudson Hospital & Clinic joined the HealthPartners family, connecting us to a comprehensive care system and extensive multi-specialty group practice. Together, we work to promote health and well-being in Hudson and across western Wisconsin.
It’s our highest priority and greatest honor to serve this community and ensure that our patients have access to the best medical care, close to home.
At Hudson Hospital & Clinic, our doctors, nurses and staff work together to provide comprehensive care and personalized treatment that puts you first. Our combined hospital and clinic campus connects you to experts in a wide range of specialties.
"Over the years, we’ve relied on the professional, competent care provided by the staff at Hudson Hospital & Clinic for both routine medical care and visits to the Emergency Center. The care and compassion demonstrated by staff, as well as the beautiful artwork on display, really puts patients at ease and helps in the healing process."
At Hudson Hospital & Clinic, we strive to provide top medical care and the best patient experience. From the building and landscape architecture to the colors on the walls, we’ve used conscious design to make our campus a place of serenity and healing.
The architecture, interior design and gardens draw tours from health care organizations across the country who want to learn from what we’ve done to create a comfortable space for treatment and healing. Throughout the property you'll find nurturing gardens, calm places of respite and artistic details to make you feel at home. Some features of our healing environment include:
- Gardens & labyrinth – Against the backdrop of our surrounding woods, patients and families enjoy outdoor patios and benches while soaking up nature’s beauty in well-tended gardens and pathways. Stunning sculptures, handcrafted birdfeeders and gardens stand outside our patients’ windows. Many find comfort in walking the labyrinth as a method of prayer or contemplation.
- Community artwork – In collaboration with local artists, original artwork is installed throughout the campus, including in patient rooms. Healing arts exhibits are carefully selected for their ability to reduce stress and to inspire, particularly for people going through challenging times. We have received many accolades from the community, including the Wisconsin Governor's Award in Support of the Arts.
- Hospitality – It begins at the front door, where staff and volunteers welcome each visitor. Children find comfort and delight in the details of a sculpture fountain created just for them. They’re greeted with a penny and encouraged to make a wish before tossing the penny in the fountain. This is just one of the many personal ways patients and visitors experience warm hospitality that reduces anxiety and helps them feel at home.
- Personal amenities – Each person has unique needs for comfort and healing. Hudson Hospital & Clinic provides many options, including aromatherapy, pet therapy or your favorite music during inpatient stays, surgery or procedures. We also offer spiritual support for patients and families of all faiths, including visits with spiritual care chaplain.
For over 40 years, Hudson Hospital Foundation has served our community by raising funds to support Hudson Hospital & Clinic, as well as other local nonprofits that enhance health and well-being.
We provide philanthropic opportunities, support and direction to Hudson Hospital & Clinic and its community to further exceptional, personalized health care services.
Our team of doctors, specialists, nurses and more works hard to achieve the very best care for our patients. We’re honored to receive recognition nationally and locally that shows our dedication to our patients and community, including:
- Five-Star Hospital by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) for the quality of patient care in 2020, placing us in the top 9% of hospitals in the U.S.
- Earned The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval™ for accreditation by demonstrating compliance with its national standards for health care quality and safety in hospitals
- Practice Greenhealth Environmental Excellence Award in 2021 for superior performance in environmental sustainability, covering a range of different sustainability programs and activities.
- Named one of the nation’s top critical access hospitals for consecutive years by Becker’s Hospital Review
- Included in the 70 Critical Access Hospital CEOs to Know (Tom Borowski) list by Becker’s Hospital Review
- Overall excellence in health outcomes by Chartis Center of Rural Health and the National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health (NOSORH)
- Named as a Green Professional within the Green Masters program by the Wisconsin Sustainable Business Council (WSBC)
“A great hospital, big enough to perform life-saving miracles, yet small enough to be friendly and personal.”
Hudson Hospital has been a pillar of the St. Croix Valley community since it first opened its doors as Hudson Memorial Hospital on January 18, 1953.
The community had a common goal of creating and sustaining exceptional health care close to home. When the Phipps Foundation announced a generous contribution toward a hospital-building fund, the Hudson community soon followed, raising funds to establish Hudson's first healthcare facility at our original location at 400 Wisconsin Street.
Over the following decades, the hospital underwent multiple expansions to allow for greater patient capacity and additional resources. In 1977 the Hudson Health Foundation was established, and in 1990 discussions began for creating a new, state-of-the-art health care facility to meet the needs of the growing community.
June 29, 2003 marked the grand opening of the new Hudson Health Campus on Stageline Road. The campus holds Hudson Hospital and Hudson Specialty Clinic, as well as Hudson Physicians and other collaborating health care partners.
On December 19, 2008 Hudson Hospital joined the HealthPartners care system, a multi-specialty group practice that serves more than 1.2 million patients across Minnesota and western Wisconsin. The change enabled Hudson Hospital & Clinic to expand health services for patients and the community.
In 2011, Hudson Hospital & Clinic became known as a leader in sustainability efforts within the HealthPartners family of organizations. It has since been recognized with numerous awards for sustainability and green leadership by Practice Greenhealth.
The hospital’s emergency department was successfully expanded in June of 2020, amid the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic. The construction project almost doubled the square footage of the Emergency Center and increased the number of patient care rooms to 12.
Over the past seven decades, countless expansions and improvements have been made to increase patient capacity, utilize the latest technology and equipment, and further enhance the healing experience at Hudson Hospital & Clinic. We would not be where we are today without the inspiration, support and hard work of this community we proudly serve.