Westfields Hospital & Clinic has been a pillar of the New Richmond community since we opened our doors in 1950. We take pride in upholding our legacy of providing our patients with award-winning medical services and patient care, close to home.
We’ve been named one of the Top 20 Critical Access Hospitals in the country by The National Rural Health Association and The Chartis Group for three consecutive years. We’ve also earned a five-star rating for our quality of patient care by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, and we’ve received a Top 25 Environmental Excellence Award for our sustainability efforts by Practice Greenhealth. Additionally, we’ve earned The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval™ by reaching its national standards for health care quality and safety in hospitals.
In 1999, Westfields Hospital & Clinic joined the HealthPartners family, connecting us to a comprehensive care system and extensive multi-specialty group practice. We work closely with our partner hospitals and clinics in the Twin Cities and western Wisconsin, including Regions, Hudson, Lakeview and Amery Hospitals. Together we’re working to promote health and well-being in New Richmond and across western Wisconsin.
The care available at Westfields allows my family to enjoy life in a small town with the peace of mind that our medical needs can be met locally, without sacrificing quality. The staff goes above and beyond to give exceptional care to every patient – whether that’s my young daughter or her aging grandmother. Our home, community and region wouldn’t be the same without Westfields.
Our experienced doctors, nurses and staff work together as a team to provide comprehensive care and personalized treatment that puts you first. Our combined hospital and clinic campus connects you to experts in a wide range of specialties.
In my nine years on the Westfields Hospital & Clinic board, I’ve seen constant growth and transformation. But one thing that’s never changed is their commitment to the Triple Aim: improving patient experience, reducing health care costs and improving the health of our community. That steadfast approach guides decision making and caregiving at Westfields by keeping the focus on patients and our community.
For over 25 years, the Westfields Hospital & Clinic Foundation has served the greater New Richmond community by raising funds to support Westfields Hospital & Clinic, as well as other local nonprofits that enhance health and well-being. We’re working to make health care accessible to all by funding the equipment, care and health education that keep our community strong.
Our doctors, nurses and staff members work hard to achieve the highest quality care for our patients. We’re honored to receive recognition nationally and locally that shows our dedication to our patients and community, including:
- Five-Star Hospital by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services for the quality of patient care in 2020, placing us in the top 9% of hospitals in the U.S.
- For the fifth year in a row, HealthPartners has been named a Watson Health 15 Top Health Systems. We were #2 in the medium health systems category – the only one in the upper Midwest. This means that we are saving more lives, have fewer medical complications, have shorter wait times in the emergency room and lower costs than other health systems. This recognition demonstrates our ongoing commitment to prioritize patient-centered care.
- Named one of the Top 20 Critical Access Hospitals in the country by the National Rural Health Association and The Chartis Center for Rural Health
- Recognized for overall excellence in health outcomes and patient perspectives by the National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health and The Chartis Center for Rural Health
- Earned The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval for accreditation by demonstrating compliance with its national standards for health care quality and safety in hospitals
- Practice Greenhealth awards, including: Top 25 Environmental Excellence Award, Emerald Award, Greening the OR Recognition, and Circles of Excellence for Leadership
- Green Masters Program (top 20% of companies) for sustainability excellence by the Wisconsin Sustainable Business Council
- Named a Tree Campus Healthcare facility by the Arbor Day Foundation
Westfields Hospital & Clinic is a staple in New Richmond and the surrounding communities. Their desire for exceptional service and quality patient care is difficult to quantify with a rating scale or survey. On a daily basis, the team at Westfields demonstrates their dedication and passion for making a difference both locally and regionally.
Westfields Hospital (formerly named Holy Family Hospital) has been an important part the New Richmond community since we welcomed our first patients in January of 1950.
The idea of a hospital for New Richmond began at a post-World War II planning meeting of the Kiwanis Club in 1945. E.J. Cashman of Doughboy Mills (now Domain Industries, Inc.) announced a gift of $50,000 to start a hospital fund. A fund-raising campaign followed in January 1948 that raised $150,000 from the community. Over 2,000 people contributed to the campaign – remarkable, considering the city population was only 2,886 in 1950.
In addition, the Sisters of St. Joseph contributed $100,000 and agreed to provide operational support and maintenance for the hospital. An added $150,000 came from Hill Burton funds to expand health care availability in rural areas. In fact, our hospital was the first hospital built in Wisconsin from Hill-Burton funds.
Construction began on March 31, 1949 at the hospital’s present location of 535 Hospital Road. The first patients were admitted on January 2, 1950. In Holy Family Hospital’s first year, 983 patients were admitted.
In the years that followed, numerous additions and improvements expanded the facilities and services at Holy Family Hospital. Some of these included:
1957: A new, 20-bed chronic disease unit
1969: A wing dedicated to the Oakes family, which housed the new X-ray and laboratory departments
1978: Another new wing, which moved the surgical, obstetrical and emergency room services to the west side of the building and added additional patient rooms
In 1986, Holy Family Hospital became part of the Carondelet Community Hospitals when the Superior Province of the Sisters of St. Joseph based in Superior, Wisconsin, joined the St. Paul Province of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet based in St. Paul, Minnesota.
On January 1, 1998, Holy Family Hospital acquired the management contract for the New Richmond Area Ambulance and Rescue Service.
In 1999, Holy Family Hospital announced an affiliation agreement with HealthPartners, a multi-specialty group practice that serves more than 1.2 million patients across Minnesota and western Wisconsin. This agreement culminated a two-year discussion process that gave HealthPartners a Class B Member status and five percent minority ownership. In the same year, the hospital also broke ground on a $13 million campus development program.
In October 2000, the New Richmond Clinic moved on-campus, providing a single location for patients to access clinic and hospital services. In November 2001, Holy Family Hospital completed the facility renovation that offers state-of-the-art medical capabilities in a modern, architecturally designed building.
In 2004, the Sisters of St. Joseph Carondelet announced their plan to transfer their interest in the hospital in order to focus on their other ministries. In 2006, the full transfer to HealthPartners was finalized, and the hospital was renamed Westfields Hospital. The change enabled Westfields to expand quality health services for patients and the community.
The hospital is a member of HealthPartners, but remains a separate entity. Westfields Hospital & Clinic has its own governing board with substantial representation from the hospital’s medical staff and the New Richmond community.
In 2011, the Cancer Center of Western Wisconsin was formed through a collaborative effort by Westfields, five other area hospitals and two medical provider organizations. The Westfields campus is the “hub” of the regional cancer care system and provides radiation therapy, medical oncology and access to clinical trials.
In 2013, the New Richmond Clinic joined Westfields Hospital and HealthPartners. The clinic, which includes 17 providers specializing in family medicine, general surgery, OB/GYN and gastroenterology, was previously part of Western Wisconsin Medical Associates, S.C. The New Richmond Clinic has an even longer history in this community, as it was founded in 1940 by Joseph Armstrong, M.D.
Over the past seven decades, numerous expansions and improvements have been made to increase patient capacity, utilize the latest technology and equipment, and further enhance the healing experience at Westfields Hospital & Clinic.
We would not be here today without the inspiration, generosity and support of this community we proudly serve.