Skip to main content

Managing CIDP

Personal support for chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy.

What is CIDP?

With CIDP, your body attacks its own nervous system. Specifically, the immune system attacks and damages the coating on your nerves. This causes loss of muscle strength or muscle weakness, which can take a toll on your daily life. A diagnosis of CIDP might follow tingling or numbness in your fingers or toes. It might also follow weakness in your arms or legs, and delayed or lost reflexes. Fewer than one in 100,000 people are diagnosed with CIDP each year. It typically affects younger men more so than women.

Treatment for CIDP can help loss of strength, sensation and other symptoms.

Treatment for CIDP

Early treatment is especially important for CIDP. If caught early, you may be able to recover most or all of your muscle strength and sensation. If left untreated, one in three people will end up needing a wheelchair. Flare-ups of CIDP can happen even after full treatment. There is no known cure.

There are a few treatment options for CIDP:

  • Intravenous immunoglobulin
  • Corticosteroids, including Prednisone
  • Plasma exchange, where the blood cells responsible for attacking your nervous system are removed

Most people need treatment for CIDP. If you have very mild symptoms, you may not need treatment. Always discuss your symptoms with your doctor.

Support from a HealthPartners nurse

If you or a loved one are living with a condition, we can help you learn how to:

  • Manage your symptoms
  • Prevent complications
  • Stay out of the hospital

Eligible members can receive free telephone help from nurses at HealthPartners. These calls are voluntary and confidential.

Or call us at 952-883-5469 or 800-871-9243. We’re here Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Helpful resources

HealthPartners provides these links as a convenience and for informational purposes. We are not responsible for the content on these sites. Listing them here doesn’t constitute an endorsement. If you have medical or health concerns, talk to your health care professional for advice.

Back to top