Healthy habits can last a lifetime. Start early with fully covered clinic visits.
Child and Teen Checkups (C&TC) are available to Prepaid Medical Assistance Program (PMAP), MinnesotaCare or Inspire (SNBC) plan members under the age of 21. These checkups provide preventive care, developmental and health screenings, and advice on topics like nutrition, exercise, and mental health.
What is included in a Child and Teen Checkup
A C&TC visit offers a wide range of preventive care that may include:
- A complete physical exam
- Immunizations, including all shots needed for school
- Vision and hearing checks
- Development, growth and nutrition checks
- Blood and urine lab tests
- Screenings for lead levels in blood
- Answers to your health-related questions
- Time to talk about topics like dealing with stress, eating healthier and how to be more active
When to schedule your Child and Teen Checkups
Following a schedule of regular checkups is important for your child’s health. C&TC visits are recommended at the following ages:
Why Child and Teen Checkups are important
Keeping up to date with your child’s checkup schedule is both good for their health and great for your peace of mind.
- Stay current with immunizations – Each visit gives you and your doctor a chance to talk about the shots your child may need. Your child can also receive their shots during the same checkup, making sure they are up to date and protected from illnesses.
- Check in on your child’s health – Each C&TC includes a full physical exam and checks for height, weight, vision and hearing. This way, your doctor will help make sure your child’s growth and development are on track.
- Essential screenings – Your doctor can also use blood and urine tests to look for other important conditions. For example, exposure to lead can harm a child’s growth and development, especially if your child lives in an older home with lead-based paint. A blood test can quickly find signs of lead poisoning so you and your doctor can take action.
Members of our PMAP and MinnesotaCare plans can get a $25 gift card when their child has received one of the following:
- Babies – Recommended series of vaccines by their second birthday
- Preteens ages 11-12 – Meningococcal, HPV and Tdap immunizations
Once your clinic lets us know that your child has received their shots, you will receive your gift card in the mail within eight to 10 weeks.
Tips to get the most from your Child and Teen Checkups
Take a few moments before your child’s C&TC to make sure you will get the answers you need.
- When you make your appointment, specifically ask for a Child and Teen Checkup – Your doctor will come to the checkup prepared with the appropriate tests, screenings and recommendations for your child’s age.
- Write down the questions you and your child want to ask your doctor –If you have any particular concerns or needs, remember to ask your questions early in the visit so you have enough time.
- Bring any forms that need to be filled out or signed –A C&TC meets exam requirements for many schools, programs and activities, including Head Start, WIC, sports leagues, child care and more. Make sure to bring any necessary forms to your child’s appointment.