Childhood Obesity Prevention
Welcome to PowerUp
HealthPartners PowerUp makes it easy and fun for your family and kids to eat better, move more and feel good. PowerUp has helpful programs, recipes and resources to support family health and helps kids grow up healthy. PowerUp4kids
- Message to parents on positive eating and activity behaviors (new handouts will be coming soon)
- Table Talk-Meal time conversation starters
- Kids in the Kitchen-Kid-Friendly cooking and food skills
- Fun with Food-exploring new foods in fun ways
- Outdoor play
- Boredom Busters-power down the screens and powerup the fun
- Chomp Challenges-active fun for the whole family
- Kids Sports Nutrition
- PowerUp Activity Book
- PowerUp Family Magazines
These handouts are focused on helping families establish a positive approach to food and physical activity behaviors that can last a lifetime.
Nutrition Services programs
Nutrition Services, comprised of a team of clinic-based dietitians who are registered by the American Dietetic Association and licensed by the State of Minnesota, provides one-to-one nutrition assessment and education, as well as offers classes on selected subjects.
Nutrition Services also serves on numerous multidisciplinary teams to provide the best care for our members. These teams include: cancer, diabetes, eating disorders, heart disease and weight management, including bariatric surgery.
Appointments can be made at several locations including:
- HealthPartners Clinic locations by calling 952-967-7616
- Park Nicollet Clinic locations by calling 952-993-3333
- Stillwater Medical Group, Westfields Hospital and Clinic, Hudson Hospital and Amery Hospital by calling 651-430-8715
Several nutrition-related classes are available on topics such as weight loss, diabetes prevention and hear5t healthy eating. For more information, on classes at HealthPartners:
- Minnesota locations by calling 952-967-7616
- Stillwater and Western Wisconsin locations by calling 651-430-8715
- Park Nicollet clinics visit Park Nicollet Nutrition.
Other HealthPartners programs
The PowerUp initiative makes it easy and fun for everyone to eat better, move more and live healthier lives. We do this important work in partnership with our members, patients, colleagues and communities through programs, tools and resources that support and inspire change. Visit PowerUp4kids.
HealthPartners PowerUp school challenge
The School Challenge focuses on eating better, moving more, and feeling good and the connection between them. With flexible tools, resources and lesson plans, teachers have the opportunity to choose when, where, and how to bring the Challenge to life for their class. The Challenge is adaptable for any learning platform, whether inside a classroom or virtually from home. Teachers can participate as an individual classroom or together with their entire school.
Link to school challenge.
PowerUp in the St. Croix Valley
PowerUp is a community-wide initiative to make it easy and fun for kids and families to eat better and move more in the St. Croix Valley area. Launched in 2013, PowerUp works with community advisors and partners across the St. Croix Valley to create positive community change. PowerUp helps kids grow up healthy through: kids cooking classes; open gyms and outdoor activities; stronger school wellness guidelines; more healthy foods at food shelves, community events and concessions.
HealthPartners Fruit and Veggie Rx
Fruit and Veggie prescriptions are $10 vouchers that can be redeemed for fresh produce at participating grocery stores. The prescriptions are given at all well-child exam appointments at all HealthPartners, Park Nicollet, and Lakeview primary care clinics during June and July, each year. The fruit and veggie Rx program encourages clinicians to get kids excited about trying fruits and veggies.
More HealthPartners PowerUp resources to share with families:
- For creative recipes, kids activities, family mealtime help and more, visit HealthPartners PowerUp
- Find deals on affordable and tasty eating on the healthy discounts page
Other Online Resources
Families are a source of information and modeling for kids, and play an important role in prevention and treatment of childhood obesity and chronic disease. Explore more health resources to share with families at healthpartners.com:
Additional information on childhood obesity is available at MNAAP